Does a New York Business Need a Copyright?

As a new business owner, you want to make sure that your work stays unshared and that no rivals take advantage of your investment in it. 

Most businesses own written content (websites, advertising materials, and a product such as a book or a song) or images (a name, a logo, or a marketing tagline). All these examples of intellectual property should be protected to make it difficult for anyone to steal or exploit your ideas without your permission.

For this reason, if anyone else is using your copyright without your permission, you’ll need a business lawyer to protect your rights. 

How Do You Register Your New York Business Copyright?

To register your copyright, you must fill out a form, submit a sample of your work, and pay the filing fees to the US Copyright Office. But, you are not required to register your work under the current law. This is because you own the rights to your work as soon as you create it. In other words, copyright is applied to any original creation and not a duplication. 

Yet, you will need to register as it does help make it easier to establish a case if an infringement occurs. Although your work is protected, that does not mean that others cannot copy it for their gain. Your copyright may be worth more than you realize, so it’s essential to think about why you’d want to keep track of it.

Most small businesses don’t copyright an entire website; instead, they copyright specific sections of it. This including:

  • Music
  • Articles
  • Blogs
  • Photographs
  • Recordings
  • Video

Merits of a Business Copyright

Now, let’s dive in to see the reasons why business copyright protection is so important? 

1) Your Efforts Are Valuable.

Whatever some may claim, if you have an original concept or piece of creative work, it’s still a potential asset and should be regarded as such. Your work could prove extremely valuable in the future, and it could potentially be used as financial collateral. Copyrights can also be thought of as an inheritance, as they can endure for decades and be handed on as part of an estate. Copyrights will live up to 70 years after the death of the original author of literary, musical, or artistic works and up to 50 years in the case of broadcasting or publishing.

2) Defend Your Legal Rights. 

If anyone infringes on your copyright, you’ll have legitimate rights to demand that the offender pay you for a license or compensate you for any financial losses you’ll have suffered. If they are using your work without your permission, you have every right to stop them and demand payment for any profits they may have earned due to your work. 

3) Licensing is the Ultimate Solution.

If you have copyrighted works that have sparked other people’s interest, you can survey your licensing possibilities and see if you can benefit financially from their use. Licensing is legal permission granted by you to someone else to use any (or all) of your copyrighted works. Licensing is also an excellent way to enhance the legal security around your concept. For example, it can be used as evidence against another party who doesn’t follow through with their end of the bargain or uses your work without permission.

The above are a few of the reasons you should be concerned about your intellectual property, even though you believe it is already protected. Every day, copyright infringements occur, so remain on top of your intellectual property protection and take adequate measures to defend your rights.

Don’t be alarmed if you’re starting out a business in New York and are afraid that your knowledge of US copyright laws is inadequate. The internet is making copyright infringement more prevalent and easier to detect. Our attorneys specialize in helping innovators and entrepreneurs protect their creations. This article intends to provide general legal knowledge and does not intend to provide legal advice. The law is complex and constantly changing. For assistance with copyright issues, contact an experienced intellectual property attorney.

× How can I help you?